Environmental sustainability at the MA Conference
Simon Stephens, 02.10.2019
From vegetarian food to cutting down on plastic, this year's event will be our greenest yet
With the theme of this year’s Museums Association (MA) Conference & Exhibition being Sustainable and Ethical Museums in a Globalised World, we have been working hard to reduce the environmental impact of the event.
We have taken the following steps to help achieve this:
- Stopped using plastic holders for delegate badges
- Stopped providing conference bags
- Printed a smaller summary conference guide, which is available at the event. Full details are on our- conference app
- Our lanyards are recyclable and made in the UK using water-based inks in a factory that uses renewable energy sources and vehicles
- Our suppliers are committed to a green/sustainable policies
- All food served is vegetarian and the supplier, Kudos, is committed to a sustainable policy
- Delegates can bring their own keep cups for tea/coffee
- Mains water is available at points throughout the centre
- MA staff have all travelled by public transport (train and bus) to the event.
We will be building on the approach at next year’s MA Conference & Exhibition, which is in Edinburgh from 5-7 November 2020.
Reducing the environmental impact of our conference is part of a wider move to look at sustainability across the MA. This has included measures such as sending Museums Journal in compostable packaging and becoming one of the organisations that has signed up to Culture Declares Emergency.
The MA Conference & Exhibition takes place 3-5 October at the Brighton Centre, Brighton